• Home
  • Downloads
  • Languages
  • Return to Portal
  • 12. Paddock Lounge

    Paddock Lounge


    Paddock Lounge, opened at 309 Bourbon Street in 1925 by racehorse owner Steve Valenti, was a premier jazz venue for locals and tourists alike. "Papa" Celestin led a band for a lengthy residency during the late 1940s into the 1950s as did clarinetist Alphonse Picou and pianist Octave Crosby. The lounge attracted many visitors with its featured African-American musicians, decadent food, and a revolving stage. To please tourists, the band would play "When the Saints Go Marching In" as they paraded outside before returning inside. Musicians recognized the marketing tactics that Paddock Lounge employed but stuck with them as the stage time boosted their careers. In the mid-1980s the Paddock Lounge assumed the name of Mahogany Hall, a brothel located at 235 Basin Street in the infamous Storyville District. Madam Lulu White employed many pianists including Kid Ross, Tony Jackson, Jelly Roll Morton, and Manuel Manetta to play background music at her establishment.